- Step 1: Stand up straight Stand up straight with your arms raised and held tight to your ears, looking forward.
- TIP: Add a few running steps and small hop before the handspring to make learning the skill much easier.
- Step 2: Raise one leg Raise your strongest leg, keeping it straight and tight.
- Step 3: Lunge forward Lunge forward, placing your foot a couple feet in front of you.
- Step 4: Plant hands on the ground Plant your hands ahead of your body on the ground about a body’s length away from your front foot.
- Step 5: Kick your back foot to a handstand Kick your back foot upward while pushing off of your front foot. Lock your ankles together into a handstand.
- Step 6: Push off and fly Push off the floor with your arms, keeping your ankles together and your arms locked to your ears.
- Step 7: Stick the landing Land on your feet with your arms up, legs slightly bent, and hips vertical with your feet.
- FACT: The Olympic scoring system for gymnastics was changed in 2008 – after 80 years – to include separate scores for degree of difficulty and for execution in each event.
You Will Need