- Step 1: Clean the dry beans Remove any stones from the dried beans, and then rinse them completely free of dirt.
- Step 2: Soak the beans Place the beans in a pot with 3 inches of water covering them. Let the beans soak overnight.
- TIP: If you have a slow cooker, cook the beans for eight hours on low heat without pre-soaking.
- Step 3: Replace the water Pour out the water and replace it with enough water to cover the beans by an inch.
- Step 4: Cook the beans Bring the beans to a boil. Then reduce the heat and allow them to simmer for 4 hours. Check the beans periodically to make sure there is still water in the pot.
- FACT: The name "pinto" means "painted" in Spanish, and refers to the beans' reddish brown and beige coloring.
You Will Need
- Pinto beans
- A pot
- A slow cooker (optional)