- Step 1: Upload the photo Scan or upload the photo to your computer and open the file in an image editing program. Crop out unwanted portions of the photo.
- Step 2: Edit the photo Resize the photo to the size of the pattern. Adjust the brightness, contrast, and color levels to make the photo as clear as possible.
- TIP: Remove complicated backgrounds in the image editing program to reduce the number of colors and to simplify the pattern.
- Step 3: Open the photo Open the photo in a cross-stitch program or upload it to an online converter.
- Step 4: Select the colors Select the number of colors for the cross-stitch.
- Step 5: Convert the photo Make adjustments until the pattern is satisfactory. Select whether the cross-stitch should be in color or black and white with symbols, and convert the photo to a pattern.
- Step 6: Print Print the pattern, thread your needle, and get to stitching.
- FACT: After designing an early sewing machine to mass-produce uniforms, inventor Barthelemy Thimonnier’s factory was burned down by French tailors.
You Will Need
- A photo
- A scanner or digital camera
- An image editing program
- A computer with internet access
- A cross-stitch program