- Step 1: Select gourd Select a bottle gourd that has a smaller bulb on top for the snowman's head and larger bulb on bottom.
- Step 2: Wash and dry Remove the stem at the top and wash the gourd, scrubbing off dirt with a pot scrubber.
- Step 3: Fill in holes Fill in holes and other indentations with wood putty and then sand with fine sandpaper.
- Step 4: Paint the hat Paint a hat on the top of the gourd. Remember to turn the gourd and paint all sides. Then paint the rest of the gourd white and let it dry completely.
- Step 5: Paint the face Paint black charcoal eyes, an orange carrot nose, and charcoal dots for a mouth onto the upper bulb. Then add a colorful scarf around the neck where the upper and lower bulbs meet.
- Step 6: Create the body Dab on a few dots of black paint for buttons along the lower bulb. Paint on mittens or drill two holes on either side of the body and insert small twigs for arms.
- Step 7: Finish Complete the snowman with clear acrylic spray finish. If the gourd doesn't stand on its own, place it on top of a small grapevine wreath.
- FACT: "Snowman" is golf slang for scoring an eight on a hole, due to its similar shape.
You Will Need
- Bottle gourd
- Wood putty
- Fine sandpaper
- Acrylic paints and paintbrushes
- 2 small twigs
- Clear acrylic spray finish
- Grapevine wreath