- Step 1: Decide what to collect Narrow the scope of your collection by focusing on only plastic figures, plush toys, pins, clothing, or a particular character.
- TIP: The plastic figures are the most popular to collect and can have hundreds of variations from manufacturers around the world.
- Step 2: Educate yourself Educate yourself using the internet and Smurf collector's guides to avoid fraudulent claims or paying too much for an item.
- Step 3: Focus on garage sales Focus on garage sales and flea markets to view each piece before buying.
- Step 4: Avoid dirty, damaged Smurfs Avoid Smurfs that are dirty, damaged, or have been repaired or repainted -- collectables should always be in factory condition or close to it.
- Step 5: Check out online auctions Check out online auction sites when you gain more experience and knowledge to know exactly what you are looking for.
- TIP: Network with other Smurf collectors and give your budding collection time to grow.
- Step 6: Spend wisely Spend your money wisely on an expensive single piece in excellent condition rather than a lot of pieces in mediocre condition.
- FACT: A 57-year-old man taking colloidal silver to treat a persistent skin disease turned a bright shade of blue.
You Will Need
- A computer with internet access
- Collector's guides
- Garage sales
- Flea markets