- Step 1: Wash and peel squash Wash and peel your butternut squash with a vegetable peeler. Remove any seeds.
- TIP: Your squash should have a matte skin. If it’s glossy it was picked too early.
- Step 2: Cube squash Cube your squash, cutting squares about ¾ of an inch big.
- Step 3: Sautee squash Melt butter in a large skillet. Add the squash and saute it, stirring occasionally until it's browned, for about 15 minutes.
- TIP: The sauteed squash should be tender enough to pierce with a fork.
- Step 4: Add remaining ingredients and caramelize Add the chicken broth, water, and brown sugar. Cook until the liquid is gone and the squash is caramelized, for about 6 minutes.
- Step 5: Salt and pepper Remove your squash from the heat and add salt and pepper. Not only is this side dish tasty, it’s got lots of nutrients for a healthy you.
- FACT: Summer squash has a soft edible shell or skin and winter squash has a hard shell or skin.
You Will Need
- 1 u00be lb. butternut squash
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- u00bd c. chicken broth
- u00bc c. water
- 1 tbsp. dark brown sugar