- Step 1: Join crossword constructor online forums for tips Join crossword constructor online forums or discussion lists for beginner tips from serious hobbyists and professionals.
- Step 2: Choose a theme for your crossword puzzle Choose a central theme to hang your crossword puzzle words and clues on.
- Step 3: Brainstorm crosswords and clues from theme Brainstorm words and clues from your puzzle’s theme and write them on paper.
- Step 4: Visit a crossword puzzle-maker web site Using an online crossword puzzle maker, enter the width, height, and number of squares, and then enter the words and clues line by line. Click a button and a puzzle is generated.
- TIP: Some hobbyists prefer to create a crossword puzzle the old-fashioned way – using graph paper and pen.
- Step 5: Buy professional crossword-puzzle-maker software Buy crossword-puzzle-maker software for professionals or serious hobbyists. This software has a steeper learning curve than the typical online puzzle generator.
- FACT: In 1913, the first published crossword puzzle was created by English journalist Arthur Wynne for the New York World newspaper.
You Will Need
- Internet access
- Graph paper (optional)