- Step 1: Register your phone number Register your landline and cell phone number online with the National Do Not Call Registry.
- TIP: Telemarketing calls will stop approximately 31 days after registering.
- Step 2: Sign up Sign up for a call-blocking service that meets your needs through your landline service provider. Call your provider for more information on their available call blocking services.
- Step 3: Block cell phone calls Blocking unwanted calls from your cell phone depends on the particular phone and service you use. Check your owner's manual for filtering options.
- Step 4: Review state laws Research your state's laws. Help may be offered for cell phone users depending on your states phone harassment or cyber stalking laws.
- Step 5: Get caller ID Get caller ID to know who is calling. You can choose to either answer or ignore the call.
- Step 6: Block your number Block your own phone number from being seen by the receiver by dialing star-67 before dialing the number.
- FACT: Telemarketers who call a consumer registered on the National Do Not Call Registry can be fined up to $11,000 per incident.
You Will Need
- Internet access
- Call-blocking service
- Cell phone's owner's manual
- Knowledge about state laws
- Caller ID