- Step 1: Measure the waist Measure the waist of the person receiving the tutu.
- Step 2: Cut elastic Cut a piece of elastic 2 inches shorter than the person’s waist measurement.
- Step 3: Sew the elastic into a circle Overlap the raw edges of the elastic and sew them together to form a circle.
- TIP: You can use a sewing machine to sew the elastic together. Use a zig-zag stitch to allow the elastic to stretch at the seam without breaking the stitches.
- Step 4: Determine length and cut tulle Determine how long you would like the tutu to be. Cut the tulle into strips that are double the length.
- TIP: The number of tulle strips you will cut depends on the waist size of the person wearing the tutu. A good rule of thumb is one strip for every ½-inch of the waist measurement.
- Step 5: Fold the strip in half and loop ends Fold a strip of tulle in half and place the looped end behind the elastic. Then pull the ends in front of the elastic through the loop and pull it tight.
- Step 6: Repeat process Keep folding and looping until you have completely covered the elastic with tulle strips. Give the tutu to that special someone and enjoy their happy dance.
- FACT: French Impressionist Edgar Degas completed more than 600 works showcasing ballet dancers.
You Will Need
- Measuring tape
- Non-rolling 3/4" elastic
- Needle and thread
- 75 yd. of 6" tulle
- Sewing machine (optional)