- Step 1: Curl lashes & apply eyeliner If you plan to do so, curl your lashes and apply eyeliner before applying any mascara.
- Step 2: Remove the wand Remove the wand from the tube of mascara and wipe any excess mascara onto the paper towel.
- TIP: Don't pump the wand in and out of the tube—this puts air into the tube and dries out the mascara.
- Step 3: Hold wand Hold the wand horizontally, parallel with your eyelid, on the underside of your upper lashes.
- Step 4: Apply mascara Starting at the roots, slowly draw the brush upwards in a zigging, zagging motion. Use just the tip of the wand to define the outer lashes of your eye.
- TIP: Looking straight into a mirror only shows you the tips of your lashes. Hold a hand mirror below your eyes and look down into it to see if your roots are covered.
- Step 5: Wait for coat to dry Wait at least a minute for the coat to dry. Then add another if needed.
- TIP: If you have light lashes or want a more dramatic look, add a coat of mascara to your bottom lashes.
- Step 6: Get rid of clumps Before your lashes dry, run an eyelash comb through them to get rid of any clumps. Now bat those beauties at whomever you please.
- FACT: "Modern" mascara was invented in the 1800s and consisted mainly of crushed coal and petroleum jelly.
You Will Need
- A mirror
- A paper towel
- And an eyelash comb
- An eyelash curler
- Some eyeliner
- And a handheld mirror