- Step 1: Fold triangle Lay a folded sheet of newspaper horizontally. Fold each of the top corners down to the center, creating a triangle. Then fold the first layer of the bottom edge up 1 inch. Turn the triangle over.
- Step 2: Tuck Fold the left and right sides of the triangle in toward the center so that it will fit your head. Fold the left and right bottom corners in and up and tuck them into the crease, creating a pocket. Then fold the top point down and tuck it into the pocket.
- Step 3: Open Pull the front and back open and lay it flat. Then fold the right and left sides in and tuck them closed. Open up your finished newspaper hat.
- Step 4: Apply tape Place a piece of duct tape in the center of the hat, covering the top and both sides. Apply more tape strips, overlapping slightly, until the hat is completely covered. Then cover the front and back of the hat with two horizontal strips.
- TIP: Tuck excess tape along the bottom edge up and stick it to the inside of the hat.
- Step 5: Make the bill Place the hat onto the piece of cardboard and mark a half oval for the bill with the marker and cut it out. Cover the bill in duct tape, trimming away any excess tape.
- Step 6: Attach bill Attach the bill to the hat with strips of duct tape on both sides.
- FACT: The first baseball caps of 1849 were made of straw or "chip." A few years later, merino wool versions appeared with the modern-day crown and a bill.
You Will Need
- Colored duct tape
- Cardboard or paperboard