- Step 1: Check the aroma Check the fruit's aroma. Ripe fruit has a pleasant scent.
- TIP: The pleasing smell of ripe fruit evolved as a cue to animals that the fruit is ready to eat.
- Step 2: Taste the fruit Taste similar fruit for sweetness. Many fruit vendors will gladly provide samples to customers.
- Step 3: Look for softness Examine the fruit for softness. As fruit ripens their cell walls are broken down by enzymes and the fruit becomes juicy.
- Step 4: Observe the color Observe the fruit's color. As fruit ripens, it loses water, causing its surface to take on a waxy sheen.
- FACT: Apples originated in the Caucasian mountains of Asia Minor.
You Will Need
- Sensory awareness