- Step 1: Use sharp knife Use a sharp knife, razor blade, or small nail clippers to nick the outer coat.
- Step 2: Rub seed Rub the seed with a nail file or sandpaper.
- Step 3: Soak in water Soak the seed in water prior to planting.
- Step 4: Remove when swells Remove the seed from the water when the seed swells. Then remove the outer shell with your hand.
- TIP: Soak the seed in sulfuric acid for 2 to 4 hours if removing the outer shell by hand is unsuccessful.
- Step 5: Plant Plant the seeds according to package directions when the outer shell is off.
- FACT: Sandpaper is primarily made of garnet, aluminum oxide, or silicon carbide grains, not sand.
You Will Need
- Sharp knife
- Razor blade
- Nail clippers
- Nail file
- Sulfuric acid (optional)