- Step 1: Believe in change In order to change you are going to have to believe that you are not a pessimist by nature and that you can train yourself to think differently.
- Step 2: Counter negativity Become aware of negative, "I can't" feelings. Whenever you have a negative thought, immediately replace it with a positive one.
- TIP: Make a conscious effort to change your attitude by repeating positive, "Yes, I can" thoughts, called affirmations, for a few minutes every day.
- Step 3: Be patient Be patient. You have probably been a pessimist for a long time. Change won't come overnight, so address one negative thought at a time.
- Step 4: Avoid negative people Avoid negative people while you are trying to change your attitude. Negativism is contagious and being around negative people makes it harder to be optimistic.
- Step 5: Be vigilant Be vigilant. As with any change, you have to work to succeed. Remind yourself daily of the positive things in your life and push away negative thoughts. You have nothing to lose but your pessimism.
- FACT: Experts suggest that having a positive attitude can lead to a longer life.
You Will Need
- Positive thoughts (optional)