- Step 1: Machine wash clothes Machine wash moldy clothes in hot water, adding a cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle.
- Step 2: Replace drywall and insulation Remove and replace moldy drywall, insulation, carpeting, and ceiling tiles as soon as possible. Mold is impossible to remove from these items.
- Step 3: Wear a filtered mask Wear a filtered mask anytime you are working in a moldy area so you do not inhale mold spores.
- Step 4: Wash hard surfaces Scrub hard surfaces with a solution of two parts white vinegar and one part water. For tough areas, use straight vinegar.
- Step 5: Mix equal parts bleach and water Clean mold from grout by mixing equal parts bleach and water in a spray bottle. Spray it on the grout, let it sit for 15 minutes, and then rinse.
- TIP: Use a stiff brush to scrub in between tiles.
- Step 6: Use a dehumidifier Use a dehumidifier set between 30 and 60 percent in your basement to eliminate moisture, which breeds mold.
- Step 7: Clean moldy shower mat Remove mold from your shower mat by soaking it in a solution of 1/8 cup chlorine bleach and 1 gallon of water for 3 to 4 hours.
- FACT: Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin from a mold called Penicillium notatum.
You Will Need
- White vinegar
- Chlorine bleach
- Spray bottle
- Filtered mask
- Stiff brush (optional)