- Step 1: Go to site Go to the provider you want your e-mail account to be with, such as MSN or Yahoo or Gmail. Find the "Sign Up" link and click on it.
- Step 2: Fill in personal info Fill in any personal information that the site requires.
- Step 3: Choose your ID Choose your user ID. This is the name or tag that comes before the "at" symbol in your e-mail address and can be your name, nickname, or anything you make up as long as it uses only the permitted characters.
- Step 4: Click check Click the Check button to see if the user ID you want has already been taken by someone else.
- TIP: If the user ID you really want is already taken, try adding a number after it, like your birth year, age, or some other significant figure.
- Step 5: Create a password Create a password for your e-mail account. Make it something easy for you to remember, but difficult for someone else to guess.
- Step 6: Finish registration Finish your registration. Sometimes this includes creating or answering a security question, accepting the e-mail provider's service agreement, or proving you are actually human by entering a special set of characters.
- Step 7: E-mail your friends Now that you have an e-mail address, get busy using the internet to send messages to all your loved ones and friends.
- FACT: Electronic mail was developed at MIT in the 1960s, years before the internet was created.
You Will Need