- Step 1: Chat online Visit online chat rooms with people who live where you will be going. Ask them for suggestions on where to travel and see how people in the area actually live.
- Step 2: Talk to people Talk to people on the airplane. You may find someone that lives in the area or knows someone else who does.
- Step 3: Ask questions Ask people who work at the hotel, lodge, or resort where you are staying and ask them where locals hang out.
- TIP: Be friendly and patient if there is a language barrier.
- Step 4: Visit smaller towns Take day trips to visit smaller towns or suburbs of your destination and strike up conversations with strangers.
- Step 5: Be polite Be polite and greet people with friendly smiles. Research the customs and culture of your destination to avoid accidentally insulting locals.
- Step 6: Repay with gratitude Repay locals' efforts with gratitude. Be a friend to them instead of a source of income.
- FACT: Each day, approximately 2.8 million hotel rooms are booked in the United States.
You Will Need
- Internet access
- Plane ride
- or resort
- Day trips