- Step 1: Find the nest Find the carpenter ant nest. Look for wood shavings or ants foraging.
- Step 2: Apply dust Apply Drione or PyGanic Dust to this area with a hand duster.
- TIP: Use a drill with a 3/16-inch bit to drill a hole into hidden or enclosed areas.
- Step 3: Remove all covers and dust Remove all covers for electrical or plumbing systems and dust into the walls in these areas.
- Step 4: Spray the perimeter of the home Spray the perimeter of your home every 4 to 8 weeks with cypermethrin or deltamethrin. Cover the foundation, 2 to 3 feet up, and the ground, 4 feet wide.
- TIP: Use a pump sprayer to apply the spray.
- Step 5: Bait the yard Bait the yard a few times a year with carpenter ant granules.
- Step 6: Bait your home Apply carpenter ant gel any place in the home that you see ants.
- Step 7: Clean up Do not leave food lying around the house. Ants will be attracted to the deadly gel if there isn’t any other food for them to eat.
- FACT: Carpenter ants come in many colors: black, yellow, red, and brown.
You Will Need
- Drione or PyGanic Dust
- Hand duster
- Cypermethrin or deltamethrin
- Pump sprayer
- Carpenter ant granules
- Carpenter ant gel
- Drill with 3/16" bit (optional)
- Pump sprayer (optional)