- Step 1: Visit insurance company's web site Visit your auto insurance company's web site and download a completed contract to use as a template so you don't feel as if you're driving blind.
- Step 2: Set up a meeting time Set up a meeting time to negotiate the contract before your teen gets behind the wheel and develops any bad habits.
- Step 3: Discuss responsibilities Discuss responsibilities, such as car maintenance, paying for insurance and gas, and maintaining good grades.
- TIP: Create a purse and have your teen deposit money each week or month for things such as gas and maintenance.
- Step 4: Create a curfew Create a curfew for your young driver and limit distractions like cell phone use and passengers while they are driving.
- Step 5: Highlight consequences Highlight the consequences for breaking any part of the contract, especially when it comes to drinking, drug use, and seatbelt use.
- Step 6: Sign, date, and display Sign and date the contract and display it someplace prominent to remind everyone to be safe and responsible.
- FACT: In 2009, a record-breaking 259-car pileup stretched for over 20 miles on Germany's famed Autobahn highway resulting in 65 injuries but zero deaths.
You Will Need
- Internet access
- Contract template
- Responsibilities list
- Consequences list
- Purse (optional)