- Step 1: Dig a trench Dig a trench with your shovel, 15 to 24 inches deep, that you can comfortably lie in.
- TIP: Locate the trench between sand dunes or rocks.
- Step 2: Surround the trench with sand Place the sand you unearth around three sides of the trench.
- Step 3: Prepare an entrance Remove additional sand from one end of the trench so you can get in and out easily.
- Step 4: Cover yourself Cover yourself with a poncho or space blanket, secured to the sides of the trench with sand or rocks.
- FACT: Many animals in the desert manage to survive the harsh climate by spending daytime underground or in the shade.
You Will Need
- Poncho or space blanket
- Sand dunes or rocks (optional)