- Step 1: Accept life Accept life on its imperfect terms, and let go of the expectation that you can influence all outcomes. Let go of your illusory ideals and need for control over events and people.
- Step 2: Practice awareness Practice awareness of how you’re feeling, even writing things down. By viewing your written thoughts, you can learn to release your illusions and anxiety.
- Step 3: Cultivate a sense of humor Detach yourself from difficulties with a sense of humor. With perspective, you’ll see that there are worse things all around you and you’re pretty fortunate after all. Things are never as bad as they could be.
- TIP: Positive thinking can be useful, but only when it’s accompanied by an understanding of our place in the universe.
- Step 4: Relinquish desires to defend Relinquish the desire to defend or explain yourself. Though you can still want things, give up your claim to have it all.
- Step 5: Meditate in silence Meditate in silence, either by reviewing the day’s events to sort things out, or by seeking blankness and a peaceful escape into the flow of life.
- Step 6: Get creative Do something absorbing and creative, like painting, singing, dancing, writing, or playing a musical instrument -- anything to disappear into another world.
- TIP: When you immerse yourself in a task, activity, conversation, or moment, all sense of yourself vanishes.
- Step 7: Make a game of it Transform the most mundane tasks into games that require you to play and experience joy, like you did as a kid.
- FACT: Did you know? Relaxing in his lounge chair anchored to helium balloons Larry Walters sailed 16,000 feet high for 14 hours with beer and sandwiches until navy jets were scrambled and he had to shoot his balloons to return to earth.
You Will Need
- Pen and paper
- Creative hobbies
- Mind games