- Step 1: Keep your mind focused Keep your mind focused on running so you finish relaxed and full of energy.
- TIP: Conditioning your mind is just as important as keeping your body conditioned.
- Step 2: Pay attention to your body Pay attention to how your body feels. Lean from your ankles, letting gravity pull you forward, and land on your midfoot.
- Step 3: Take deep breaths Take deep breaths so your body can take in as much oxygen as possible to make the run feel easier.
- Step 4: Relax muscles Relax your muscles, drop your shoulders, and relax your gluts.
- Step 5: Use good posture and form Practice good posture and form throughout the run.
- TIP: Good posture lowers your risk of injury.
- Step 6: Start off slow Start slowly and make realistic goals. Take breaks if you need to.
- Step 7: Enjoy Take in the beauty of the scenery and enjoy the run.
- FACT: Did you know? There were 43,250 participants in the 2009 New York City Marathon.
You Will Need
- Deep breaths
- Good posture