Skip to main content

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Passport

If you are a jet-setter, than misplacing your passport can be a real downer. Follow these easy steps to replace your passport and get back on the road.


  • Step 1: Report the missing passport Report your missing passport immediately. This is the crucial first step in replacing your lost or stolen passport. Call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778. You will be asked to fill out the form "DS-64":, which will validate your claim.
  • TIP: If you are overseas and misplace your passport, contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
  • Step 2: Fill out form DS-11 Begin the replacement process by completing the Application for Passport, Form "DS-11": This form can be found online by going to the U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs website.
  • Step 3: Turn in the form Print the DS-11 and take it to the nearest acceptance facility or passport agency. Do not sign the form until you are at the facility.
  • Step 4: Bring identification Bring your DS-11, as well as a previously issued U.S. passport, a certified birth certificate, a naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship, or current government-issued ID to the acceptance facility or passport agency
  • Step 5: Photocopy the ID Photocopy both sides of your photo ID on an 8½-by-11-inch piece of paper, and bring that along with your other information.
  • Step 6: Pay the fee Pay the passport fee. Fees are subject to change, but you can expect to pay at least $95, plus a $25 execution fee.
  • TIP: Call the facility to find out the acceptable methods of payment. Some accept credit cards and other don’t.
  • Step 7: Bring photos Bring two identical 2-by-2-inch color photographs of yourself. The guidelines are very strict, so it’s best to have someone who takes passport photos do the job.
  • Step 8: Wait for delivery Wait for your passport to be delivered to you in the mail and you’ll be all set to globe trot again.
  • FACT: The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative requires travelers to present a passport or other ID when entering the U.S.

You Will Need

  • Form DS-64
  • Form DS-11
  • Internet access
  • Acceptance facility or passport agency
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship
  • Identification
  • Photocopy of identification
  • Money
  • 2 photos of yourself
  • U.S. Embassy or Consulate (optional)

Popular Categories