- Step 1: Discuss expectations Discuss your expectations with your family or friends and determine what kind of cat you are looking for.
- Step 2: Research shelters and groups Research shelters and rescue groups online. Read reviews and check out available kitties online to narrow your search.
- Step 3: Visit shelters Visit the shelter or rescue group and interact with any cats that strike your interest.
- Step 4: Discuss policies and vet care Talk with the staff about adoption procedures and policies and get information about previous veterinary care.
- TIP: Most shelters and rescue groups will screen the person adopting an animal, so be prepared to give information about your home and daily life.
- Step 5: Choose a cat Choose a cat that fits you and your lifestyle.
- Step 6: Apply Complete the adoption paperwork and wait for the call to tell you that sweet kitty is all yours.
- FACT: Cats’ eyes appear to glow at night because of a reflective layer called the tapetum lucidum that allows more light to enter the eye for increased night vision.
You Will Need
- Family and friends
- Internet access
- Shelter or rescue group
- Loving home
- Information about your home and daily life (optional)