- Step 1: Cut watermelon Cut a ripe watermelon into bite-sized pieces and remove the seeds.
- Step 2: Puree Puree the watermelon in the food processor.
- Step 3: Cook with sugar Cook 1 cup of the puree with the sugar in a saucepan, over medium heat, until the sugar has dissolved.
- TIP: Add the sugar gradually and taste it to judge when the mixture is sweet enough.
- Step 4: Mix the remaining ingredients Mix the rest of the watermelon puree, the lemon juice, and the rum into the sugar and watermelon mixture.
- TIP: Adding alcohol to the sorbet mixture keeps the sorbet from freezing solid and will allow you to serve it easily.
- Step 5: Cover and cool Cover the saucepan and place the mixture in the refrigerator until it is cold.
- Step 6: Freeze Freeze the watermelon mixture in the ice cream maker.
- Step 7: Let firm up and serve Allow the mixture to freeze until firm, not hard -- for at least 2 hours. When it is ready, scoop the sorbet into dessert bowls and enjoy with toppings or all by itself.
- FACT: The home ice cream freezer was invented by Nancy Johnson of Philadelphia in 1843.
You Will Need
- 3u00bd-4 lb. watermelon
- 1 c. sugar
- u00bc c. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. rum
- Food processor or blender
- Ice cream maker
- Dessert bowls