- Step 1: Defragment your computer Use the Defragment and Disk Cleanup options on your computer by going to the Tools tab under Properties for your hard drive.
- TIP: Defragmenting and Disk Cleanup functions may take several hours to run, so only perform these tasks when you don't need your computer for awhile.
- Step 2: Empty the Startup folder Empty your Startup folder to decrease boot time by clicking on the Start button, selecting Programs, and then deleting items in the Startup folder.
- Step 3: Delete large files Delete large files, such as movies, music, or pictures, to free up memory on your hard drive. Then empty the Recycle Bin on your Desktop.
- Step 4: Update virus protection Update your virus and spyware protection and run a full system scan. This may also take some time, so be prepared to wait.
- Step 5: Upgrade Upgrade your computer with a faster processor, more memory, and the latest operating system if you need a more dramatic increase in performance.
- FACT: Cheaply manufactured diamond processors can withstand the heat of extreme speeds where most silicon chips would melt.
You Will Need
- Basic computer knowledge