- Step 1: Understand differences Understand that different people like to experience traveling in different ways. One person may prefer to have a meticulously detailed schedule while another may prefer to wing it.
- TIP: Test the waters by going away for only one night on your first trip with a travel partner.
- Step 2: Plan an agenda Make an agenda, itemizing what each of you wants to see or do on the trip.
- TIP: Be open to any situations that arise on the trip that may be more fun or interesting than what is outlined in the itinerary.
- Step 3: Budget the trip Set up a budget for the trip that clearly outlines how much the trip is going to cost. Specify every expense and determine how much each person is responsible for.
- Step 4: Compromise Be willing to compromise. Compromise means that sometimes both parties have to give up a little of something they want to make each other happy.
- Step 5: Take a break Take a break from each other. If you have travel plans that conflict, or one of you wants to stay in the hotel, split off and meet back together later.
- Step 6: Work together Work off each other's strengths and weaknesses. If your partner is better at planning, and you are better at taking pictures, then do what you are good at.
- Step 7: Laugh Have a sense of humor. It is often easier to get along when you and your partner can share a laugh about your travel experiences.
- FACT: According to the United Nations World Tourism Organization, in 2008, international tourism generated $944 billion.
You Will Need
- Ability to compromise
- Sense of humor
- Overnight trip (optional)