- Step 1: Write down concerns Write down your thoughts about starting a family to get them organized before opening a dialogue.
- Step 2: Talk Designate a time and place to have an uninterrupted conversation with your partner.
- Step 3: Express your feelings Talk about how each of you feels about having children. Be honest about your concerns or fears.
- Step 4: Look at goals Figure out what conditions need to exist before starting a family. Some priorities could include finishing school or starting a career.
- TIP: Until you are ready to conceive, talk about what methods of contraception you will use.
- Step 5: Discuss history Discuss any religious or cultural differences you may have.
- Step 6: Look at finances Examine your finances. Discuss the steps you need to take to ensure a workable budget.
- Step 7: Talk with your doctor Make an appointment with your doctor to discuss each other's lifestyle choices and family and medical histories. Talk about how to plan a healthy pregnancy.
- FACT: In 2008, there were approximately 5.3 million stay-at-home moms, and approximately 140,000 stay-at-home dads.
You Will Need
- Pen and paper
- Honest discussion