- Step 1: Drink fortified beverages Guzzle a glass of milk, which is fortified with Vitamin D, each day. Other drinks, like orange juice, are also fortified with the vitamin – giving you about 400 IUs of the nutrient for each 8 ounces.
- TIP: If you’re allergic to dairy, try soy or rice milk.
- Step 2: Eat cereal Grab your spoon, bowl, and favorite cereal. Vitamin D is added to breakfast cereal to start your day right.
- Step 3: Eat eggs Scramble or poach an egg. Vitamin D is found naturally in egg yolk.
- TIP: Check out the carton of your favorite egg substitute. Many are fortified with D.
- Step 4: Eat fish Add more fish to your diet. Tuna, salmon, herring, mackerel, and sardines are the top fish picks for Vitamin D.
- Step 5: Use a Vitamin D supplement Take a daily vitamin D supplement if you aren’t able to add D-rich foods to your diet, or enjoy at least 10 minutes of sunshine each day.
- FACT: Vitamin D deficiency can impair normal bone metabolism, leading to rickets, osteomalacia, and osteoporosis.
You Will Need
- Orange juice
- Vitamin D supplements
- Soy milk (optional)
- Rice milk (optional)
- Egg substitute (optional)