- Step 1: Select potatoes Select fresh, firm, smooth, and plump sweet potatoes and wash them as you would other vegetables.
- TIP: Cook sweet potatoes whole to benefit from nutrients found next to the skin.
- Step 2: Pierce Pierce your dry sweet potatoes a few times with a fork before baking or microwaving.
- Step 3: Place on pan and bake Place the sweet potatoes on a rimmed pan and bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until they are tender.
- Step 4: Quick-cook Quick-cook sweet potatoes by placing two clean, pierced potatoes in a microwave oven for five to nine minutes, or four sweet potatoes for 10 to 13 minutes.
- TIP: Sweet potatoes rank high among the healthiest of vegetables, providing vitamins A and C, potassium, and fiber.
- Step 5: Grill Grill sweet potatoes by first boiling them, letting them cool, and then slicing them lengthwise into eighths, oiling the slices, and grilling all sides until they're golden brown.
- Step 6: Slit and top your sweet potatoes Slit your sweet potatoes and top them with sour cream, butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, maple syrup, applesauce, pecans, or anything else that tickles your taste buds to make a delightful dining experience.
- FACT: Christopher Columbus found sweet potatoes growing on islands in the West Indies and brought the vegetable plant to Spain in the early 1500s, where it was cultivated.
You Will Need
- Sweet potatoes
- Cooking oil
- Assorted toppings
- Rimmed baking pan