- Step 1: Vacuum Vacuum your carpet thoroughly.
- Step 2: Apply a cleaner Apply a traffic-lane cleaner to areas of the carpet that are stained or heavily soiled with grease, oil, and dirt.
- Step 3: Deep clean Clean the carpet with a deep-cleaning machine, following the manufacturer's instructions. The deep cleaner forces a mixture of cleaning solution and water deep into the carpet while vacuuming out the dirt and liquid.
- TIP: As an alternative to purchasing a deep-cleaning machine, consider renting one.
- Step 4: Dry carpet Allow the carpet to dry. Although the deep-cleaning machine will extract most of the moisture from your carpet, it will still take several hours to dry coompletely.
- FACT: James W. Spangler received the first U.S. patent for an electric vacuum cleaner in 1908.
You Will Need
- Vacuum cleaner
- Traffic-lane cleaner
- Deep-cleaning machine
- Manufacturer's instructions
- Cleaning solution