- Step 1: Choose clothes that complement your chest Concentrate on details that draw the eye away from your chest if you're large-busted. Look for pretty empire waists and sleek necklines that de-emphasize the bust. Also look for full, bra-friendly straps that offer additional support.
- TIP: Coordinate your jewelry to your dress. Opt for a chunky necklace to highlight a maxidress, or wear pop-inspired earrings with a mod minidress. Classic bangles and gold chains also work well with most every dress.
- Step 2: Choose clothes that complement your hips Balance a pear shape with a fluid bottom to cover the hips, and play up your arms and neckline. Try a strapless or halter dress with an empire waist, or opt for an A-line tunic, which draws the eye upward.
- TIP: Accessorize a pretty dress with strappy sandals. Try ladylike kitten heels or low-heeled slides. Espadrilles and mules are other summertime footwear favorites and work well with tropical-themed dresses.
- Step 3: Create curves Create curves to soften a slim, boyish figure with a V-neck halter dress, or try layers of ruffles to create a soft shape. Look for vertical stitches and seams, which achieve the illusion of curves.
- Step 4: Don't overwhelm a petite frame Avoid overwhelming a petite frame. Try a bold, colorful dress, but keep it in proportion with neutral accessories -- basic dress cuts flatter a smaller figure. Check out tunics, shifts, and tank dresses that elongate your frame.
- Step 5: De-emphasize apple shape Skim your midsection if you have an apple shape. Look for dresses with a flattering neckline, such as an empire waist, that elongates the torso. Emphasize your lower half with fluid, A-line skirts.
- FACT: Actress Debbie Reynolds owns the iconic white dress worn by Marilyn Monroe in The Seven Year Itch.
You Will Need
- Knowledge of your body type
- Jewelry (optional)
- Strappy heels (optional)