- : Do not cause physical harm or vandalize property, actions which can have legal consequences.
- Step 1: Pick your target Find a target to prank. Consider whether you want the joke to be on a specific individual, a select group, or everyone in attendance and what you want to achieve: A great practical joke goes beyond causing chaos to highlight its target's shortcomings.
- Step 2: Know your roots Study pranks through history, from the Ancient Greeks to what's been done at your own school in previous years. Note the ways pranksters manipulated their targets' minds or just messed with the system to give you ideas.
- Step 3: Design a prank Create your prank. Focus on a unique idea that will have immediate impact by disrupting current events but will also be worthy of having someone emulate it in the years to come.
- Step 4: Make a plan Come up with a plan to execute your prank. Keep it as simple as possible -- more steps mean more opportunities for mistakes. Think through who and what you'll need carefully, and leave little to chance.
- Step 5: Bring the elements together Assemble the people and materials necessary to pull it off. Make sure any fellow pranksters are fully committed to the task and can keep a secret.
- TIP: Don't tell more people than you need to about your prank to avoid ruining the surprise.
- Step 6: Pull the trigger Try to stick to your plan, but be willing to improvise if necessary. Maintain a cool head and rely on your team's support as you watch your vision become reality and your name go down in history.
- FACT: In 1999, students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology turned a campus building, the Great Dome, into a gigantic replica of Star Wars character R2D2.
You Will Need
- Knowledge of history
- Fellow pranksters (optional)