- Step 1: Cast on Cast on an even number of stitches.
- Step 2: Knit 1, purl 1 Knit one and purl one.
- Step 3: Repeat Repeat this pattern to the end of the first row.
- TIP: If you're using an odd number of stitches, knit one, purl one, knit one; then repeat purl one, knit one, until the end of the row.
- Step 4: Start 2nd row Purl one and knit one to start the second row and continue this pattern until the end of row two.
- Step 5: Alternate Work the following rows, alternating the patterns for rows one and two.
- FACT: During World War I and World War II, volunteers, along with the American Red Cross, knitted items such as socks, caps and sweaters for soldiers and war refugees overseas.
You Will Need