- Step 1: Watch for pushing away See if your baby pushes you away. If your they are pushing you away during feeding times, it may be a sign they are ready to stop breastfeeding.
- TIP: Use a breast pump to collect milk for feedings.
- Step 2: Watch for not latching on Observe whether your baby fails to latch on during breastfeeding. Not latching on is another sign your baby may be ready to stop breastfeeding.
- Step 3: Watch for biting See if your baby begins biting your nipples, which can be very painful.
- Step 4: Watch for interest in others' eating See if your baby notices other people eating. This may be another sign your baby is old enough to stop breastfeeding.
- FACT: Worldwide, less than 40 percent of infants under the age of six months are exclusively breastfed.
You Will Need
- Breast pump (optional)