- Step 1: Select a photo Select a photo of a person, a pet, an interesting object, or a simple landscape, keeping in mind that less complex images will be easier to reproduce.
- Step 2: Size your image Size your image using a photocopier, either increasing or decreasing the image to suit your needs.
- Step 3: Tape and cut Tape your image to a piece of black or white paper and then, using a craft knife or scissors, cut the image's outline through both layers.
- TIP: A silhouette may be cut from either solid black or solid white paper and mounted on paper of the contrasting color.
- Step 4: Glue Adhere your image to background paper of the contrasting color with glue or spray adhesive.
- Step 5: Cut to size Cut the background paper to fit your frame, leaving ample space around the silhouette for effect. Now hang your art work and get ready to bask in the praise of family and friends.
- FACT: Contemporary artist Kara Walker is known for exploring racial myths, slavery, and gender politics through the technique of cut-paper silhouettes.
You Will Need
- Photo of your subject
- Black or white paper
- Craft knife or scissors
- Glue or spray adhesive