- Step 1: Be self-sufficient Be self-sufficient both financially and emotionally. You don't need to depend on anyone else for your well-being and happiness.
- Step 2: Relish your freedom Make a list of all the advantages of being single, like complete freedom to come and go as you please, take career risks, and spend your money as you wish.
- Step 3: Do what you like Pursue interests you enjoy; don't only sign up for activities in the hopes of hooking up.
- Step 4: Overcome your fears Embrace the pleasures and possibilities that come with doing things alone, like eating out on the spur of the moment and traveling spontaneously.
- TIP: Eating at the bar is a good way to dip your feet into dining solo.
- Step 5: Don't put things on hold Don't put dreams on hold because you've always believed they should be done with a mate. You can achieve them on your own, too.
- Step 6: Work on your relationships Work on maintaining good relationships with family members, and develop friendships with people of all ages. Being alone doesn't have to mean being lonely if you have a strong social network.
- FACT: Thirty-three percent of unmarried Americans polled said "the freedom to spend my time as I choose" is the best part of being single.
You Will Need
- Hobbies and interests
- Strong social network