- Step 1: Understand the process Understand the process of detasseling before you start. Detasseling is done to help facilitate cross pollination.
- Step 2: Grasp the tassel Grasp the stem of the tassel just above where the last leaf at the top connects to the stalk.
- TIP: Wear work gloves to prevent your hands from getting cut, and to ensure a solid grip on the tassel.
- Step 3: Bend, snap, and pull Bend the stem of the tassel slightly until you feel a snap. Then pull up swiftly to separate the tassel from the stalk.
- Step 4: Toss the tassel and repeat Toss the tassel on the ground and repeat the process for the length of the row, and then start on the next row.
- FACT: Corn-Ethanol is energy efficient because it yields 34 percent more energy than it takes to produce it.
You Will Need
- A field of corn before harvest
- Strong hands
- Work gloves (optional)