- Step 1: Connect new drive Connect your new drive to your computer and follow the on the on-screen installation instructions.
- Step 2: Click on Start button Click on the Start button and then right-click on My Computer and select Manage.
- Step 3: Select Disk Management Select Disk Management under Storage from the navigation pane on the left side of the window.
- Step 4: Right-click on drive Right-click on the the new drive and select Format from the pop-up menu. Choose either the NTFS or FAT 32 format for the new drive.
- TIP: While the FAT 32 format has a file size limit of 4 gigabytes, the NTFS format is only compatible with later versions of Windows.
- Step 5: Label disk Give the drive a name, such as "new drive," and then click on Quick Format for new disk drives or Full Format for existing drives.
- TIP: A full format will take much longer than a quick format, but all the information will be completely erased.
- Step 6: Wait and check Wait for the computer to finish formatting and then check the new drive by transferring a file and then accessing it.
- FACT: An Exabyte is 1 billion gigabytes. In 2006, the total volume of all internet traffic worldwide was 8.4 exabytes a year and growing.
You Will Need
- New hard drive
- Basic computer knowledge