- Step 1: Learn the basics Learn how to type the proper way. Memorize the home row where the fingers rest, and how each key relates to them.
- TIP: Say the name of the key when you type it to help you memorize it.
- Step 2: Use good posture Use proper posture and positioning, also known as ergonomics. Sit upright with your wrists, elbows, and the keyboard aligned on the same plane, and keep your hands lower than your elbows.
- Step 3: Type Type by hitting each key in the center firmly, but not with too much force.
- Step 4: Follow a pace Go as quickly as you can without mistakes. The more confidence you get, the faster you will type.
- Step 5: Use online aids Use online typing software and sites with typing lessons to help you practice and improve your skills. Many exercises have you copy paragraphs or type along with audio clips.
- Step 6: Set a goal Set a goal with a timeline that you can reasonably achieve. Take steps to meet your goal and improve your typing.
- FACT: The layout of the Qwerty keyboard was designed to prevent jams in typewriters by spreading the most frequently used keys far apart from each other.
You Will Need
- Internet access