- Step 1: Start with the right shampoo To achieve all-day smooth, start with a conditioning shampoo that penetrates hair to the core and helps protect each strand from breakage. A conditioning shampoo will also help align the strands, reducing the inter-fiber spaces that can make frizz seem even more unruly.
- Step 2: Use a smooth conditioner Apply a moisturizing conditioner; it's important that your shampoo and conditioner work in unison. Conditioner lubricates the hair surface, providing a barrier between your hair and the environment -- helping to lock in good moisture and keep out the humidity that causes frizz.
- Step 3: Rinse and blot Rinse your hair thoroughly. Then, gently blot excess water from your hair with a clean towel. Aggressive towel-drying can damage cuticles.
- TIP: For a gentler option, try blotting hair with a cotton T-shirt.
- Step 4: Repel moisture Apply a leave-in cream with humidity protection. By repelling moisture in the air, it provides yet another barrier to the elements.
- Step 5: Dry it If you want to keep your curls, use a diffuser, scrunching the ends as you dry. If you want a straight look, blow-dry it until it's 95 percent dry and then blow it out with a brush. With either texture, smooth just the ends with a curling iron or flatiron for a more finished look.
- TIP: Make sure your hair is completely dry before you leave the house; if it's still damp, it may absorb moisture from the air, resulting in frizz.
- Step 6: Freeze it Help lock in your smooth look with a hair spray formulated to keep out frizz; its fixative polymers will help keep each hair in place. Once sprayed, refrain from unnecessarily combing, brushing, and touching your hair.
- Step 7: Show off Enjoy those smooth tresses. You and your hair are ready for anything!
You Will Need
- Smoothing shampoo
- and styling products
- Blow-dryer with diffuser
- Curling iron or flatiron
- Cotton T-shirt (optional)
- Brush (optional)