- Step 1: See how it hangs Look for a strapless dress that retains an hourglass shape even when it's on the hanger. This ensures an hourglass shape for your figure, too.
- Step 2: Look for boning Make sure the bodice has boning -- stiffening material that helps support the bust.
- Step 3: Find the right bra Find the right bra. Options include a strapless push-up or a longline -- one whose material extends to the waist, helping prevent slippage.
- TIP: With a strapless push-up, try on both your regular size and one cup bigger.
- Step 4: Put the dress to the test Try on the dress with different bras and put the combinations through lots of gyrations, especially if you plan to dance in the dress. Make sure it doesn't slip, pinch, or create unattractive lumps anywhere when you sit, bend, or move your arms.
- Step 5: Wear the right accessories Wear either chandelier earrings or a necklace that complements a bare neck and decolletage, like a choker or Y-drop design. Donning both will overwhelm the dress. Carry a clutch or small evening bag.
- Step 6: Top it off Top with a shawl or cardigan if you'll need more coverage. Now go knock some socks off with your sexy dress!
- FACT: In 2001, there was still a law on the books in the city of Miami that made it illegal for men to appear publicly in a strapless gown.
You Will Need
- Well-constructed garment
- Bodice with boning
- The right bra
- Right accessories