- Step 1: Consider the location Consider the location. The reception venue will provide you wit a clue as to how formal the wedding will be.
- TIP: A country club or hotel calls for formal attire, whereas a beach or outdoor wedding calls for more casual dress.
- Step 2: Watch the weather Watch the weather forecast, especially if the wedding or reception is being held outside.
- TIP: Steer clear of high-heel shoes for outdoor weddings. The heels will sink into the sand and lawn.
- Step 3: Read the invitation Read the invitation carefully. It may mention casual, proper, or black tie attire requested.
- TIP: Redefine your understanding of casual attire. Jeans are never recommended. A cotton suit or sundress for women and khaki pants and a shirt with a collar for men are as casual as you should go.
- Step 4: Consider the time of day Consider the time of the reception. Morning or early afternoon weddings are more casual than dinnertime or evening ones.
- Step 5: Do not wear white Do not wear white to a wedding. You never want to be mistaken as the bride or take the attention away from her.
- FACT: Veils were originally worn by ancient Greeks and Romans to protect the bride from evil spirits.
You Will Need
- Location of the wedding
- Weather forecast
- Invitation to a wedding