- Step 1: Deal 7 cards per player; create a Draw pile with remaining cards Shuffle the deck and deal seven cards, face down, to each player. Stack the remaining cards face down to form a Draw pile.
- Step 2: Turn up first card in Draw pile Turn over the first card in the Draw pile to create a Discard pile.
- Step 3: Have the person to your left match the Discard card Have the person to the dealer's left match some aspect of the Discard pile card -- either the number, color, or symbol. Place this card face up on top of the Discard pile.
- TIP: Play a Wild Card anytime. Tell everyone what color you want the next person to match.
- Step 4: Draw from the Draw pile if no match is made Draw one card from the top of the Draw pile if no match can be made with the card on the Discard pile. The drawn card can be played if it matches the Discard pile card.
- Step 5: Pass to next player Pass the play to the next player after a match is made or a card is drawn from the Draw pile. Continue counterclockwise, matching the number, color, or symbol with the Discard pile or drawing from the Draw pile.
- Step 6: Shout "Uno!" when you have one card left Shout "Uno!" when you only have one card remaining in your hand. Play until one person is out of cards.
- TIP: Penalize anyone who forgets to shout "Uno!" when they have only one card left by having them draw two cards from the Draw pile.
- Step 7: Add values of cards in opponents' hands for the score Add the values of the cards remaining in everyone else's hands, with number cards counting as face value; Draw Two, Reverse, and Skip cards counting for 20 points; and Wild Cards counting for 50 points.
- TIP: Shorten the game by playing only one hand, with the person running out of cards first being the winner.
- Step 8: Continue playing until someone reaches 500 points Start a new game, and continue playing until someone reaches 500 points.
- FACT: UNO was created in 1971 by Merle Robbins, a barber in Ohio. He and his family made the first decks of UNO cards on their kitchen table and sold them at his barbershop.
You Will Need
- UNO Cards
- Two or more players