- Step 1: Put chestnuts in popper or roasting pan Arrange a single layer of chestnuts in the fireplace popcorn popper or chestnut roasting pan.
- TIP: For easier peeling later, cut an X into the flat side of the nut with the paring knife.
- Step 2: Put pan over fire Place the pan over a low fire for 20 to 25 minutes. Shake the pan back and forth frequently while cooking.
- Step 3: Listen for popping Listen for the loud popping sounds as the chestnuts burst open. If you cut an X into them first, the steam will escape and you won't hear it.
- Step 4: Check for doneness Check for doneness. You'll know they're done if the shells are broken open or are curled.
- Step 5: Peel Peel when the chestnuts are still hot but cool enough to touch.
- FACT: "The Christmas Song" often subtitled "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" was written during an unusually hot summer by Mel Torme and Bob Wells.
You Will Need
- Fresh chestnuts
- Covered popcorn popper or chestnut roaster
- Sharp paring knife (optional)