- Step 1: Muddle Gently muddle everything together with the muddler or the back of the spoon.
- Step 2: Strip mint leaves Just like the Mojito, you start by setting aside 1 mint sprig for garnish, and stripping the leaves from the remaining sprigs.
- Step 3: Add mint, lime & sugar Drop 3 mint leaves into the glass, add all 4 lime wedges, and pour in 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- TIP: The idea is to coat the inside of the glass with the flavor and essence of mint released by the mashing.
- Step 4: Fill glass with ice Fill the glass a little more than halfway with ice.
- Step 5: Pour rum & mix Pour in 2 ounces of light rum and mix again.
- Step 6: Pour in Champagne Pour in the Champagne.
- Step 7: Garnish & serve Add the mint sprig garnish and serve.
- FACT: The Champito was originally concocted by bartender Bill Lambertson at San Francisco's Campton Place Restaurant.
You Will Need
- 2 oz. light or gold rum
- 2 oz. Champagne
- 2 fresh mint sprigs
- 2 tsp. sugar
- A lime cut into 4 wedges
- A collins glass
- A muddler or wooden spoon
- A measuring jigger