- Step 1: Comb hair Comb your hair to remove any knots, and pull the hair into a loose, low ponytail. Secure with an elastic.
- TIP: Leave bangs and few loose, face-framing pieces of hair in front, out of the ponytail.
- Step 2: Create volume Tease the ponytail with the comb to create volume and texture that will help hold the pins in place.
- Step 3: Smooth hair Smooth out the ponytail with the paddle brush. Casually loop the hair into a bun and pin in place.
- TIP: Don't worry if some of the ends stick out or it isn't perfect. Messier looks more modern.
- Step 4: Use hairspray Spray the bun with hair spray.
- Step 5: Finish the details Style bangs, and curl or straighten loose hair in front. Spray longer a few of the longer pieces and loop them back and up over the bun and pin on the opposite side. Finish with a final coat of hair spray.
- Step 6: Experiment Experiment by placing the bun higher on your head, or create a cute side-swept chignon by parting your hair to one side and placing the bun just below your ear on the same side as the part. However you style it, make sure the hip, modern look reflects you!
- FACT: Chignon comes from the French phrase chignon du cou, which means nape of the neck.
You Will Need
- Medium to long hair
- Elastic band
- Paddle brush