- Step 1: Hang a bag Hang a recyclable plastic bag in your kitchen to collect your recyclable plastic bags.
- Step 2: Collect plastic Collect all clean, dry plastic bags labeled "#2" or "#4."
- TIP: Call your local grocery and retail stores to see where you can recycle your plastic bags.
- Step 3: Collect Collect other recyclable plastic bags including dry-cleaning bags, bread bags, newspaper bags, and produce bags.
- Step 4: Add to grocery list Write down the words, "recycle plastic bags," at the top of every grocery list as to not forget to bring your recyclable plastic bags with you on your next grocery store visit.
- Step 5: Return to store Place your used grocery bags in the recycling bins located at most grocery and retail chains.
- Step 6: Research recyclable bags Do not recycle food or cling wrap, prepackaged food bags, bio-based bags, or compostable plastic bags. All these are considered contaminants.
- FACT: It takes 91 percent less energy to recycle one pound of plastic than it takes to recycle 1 pound of paper.
You Will Need
- Plastic bags
- Grocery list
- Recycling bin