- : Always follow the directions from your pharmacist or the manufacturer when using medication to avoid serious health problems.
- Step 1: Use the restroom Use the restroom to empty your bowels and bladder if possible.
- Step 2: Wash hands Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and dry with a towel.
- Step 3: Unwrap Unwrap the suppository.
- TIP: Suppositories melt with body heat to allow for absorption into the bloodstream. Do not hold it in your hand for too long or it will begin to melt and will be unusable.
- Step 4: Squat or lie down Squat or lie down on your side bending one leg up and keeping the other leg straight out.
- Step 5: Insert Insert the suppository, pointed end first, gently. Push until it is completely inserted and squeeze your legs and buttocks together.
- TIP: Suppositories may be inserted rectally, vaginally, or in the urethra depending on their purpose. Be sure to read the directions to determine where your particular suppository should be inserted.
- Step 6: Wash hands Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Step 7: Lie down and rest Lie down and rest for up to 15 minutes to give the suppository time to be absorbed.
- Step 8: Wait to use the restroom Wait to use the restroom for at least one hour after insertion.
- FACT: Suppositories are generally made of an oil medium such as glycerin, cocoa butter, or vegetable oil and mixed with medicine.
You Will Need
- Hand soap