- Step 1: Make sure it is a good fit Check to make sure your vehicle will work with a WVO fuel system. The systems are ideal for older diesel vehicles, but a few of the newer brands of diesel cars and trucks also function with the system.
- Step 2: Convert your vehicle Buy a conversion hardware kit and install it yourself, or hire someone to professionally install it. Most kits are designed to be installed by the customer, but many companies that sell them offer installation.
- Step 3: Get oil Contact local restaurants for used oil. Restaurants pay to have their oil taken away, and are happy to give it away. Refined oil can be purchased from the same vendors who sell the installation kits.
- TIP: Asian restaurants, and bar and grills have the best waste oil for the WVO fuel system.
- Step 4: Fill the tank Strain the oil before using to get out any unwanted food materials. Fill the WVO tank with the oil, and the diesel tank with diesel.
- Step 5: Run the engine Start and run your vehicle with the diesel engine. Once the WVO has heated to the proper temperature, switch to the WVO tank. Switch back to diesel before shutting down your engine.
- FACT: In 1892, Rudolf Diesel designed the diesel engine, which is ignited from the compression of air rather than an external ignition.
You Will Need
- Diesel-fueled vehicle
- WVO conversion kit
- Professional mechanic/help
- Waste vegetable oil
- Diesel fuel